Friday, June 20, 2008

The Struggle for the Magis

MATTHEW 6:19-23--
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal,
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

"The eye is the lamp of the body.
So, if your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light;
but if your eye is not sound, your whole body will be full of darkness.
If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!"

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
I just finished sitting for an exam this afternoon.
Throughout my career as a student, I have so feared exams. It somehow used to give me an idea of how slow I understand things.
It is an essential skill for people studying medicine that they understand complex topics as fast as they could. For quite a long time now, I have disappointed at how my grades appear. I fervently hope that this year will be a change: for God, for me and my family, and of course, for my patients.
I am praying that with the exams I just took, I may be able to glorify God, and improve myself and how I serve others. Besides, what I am learning is ultimately for the good of my patients, my brothers, my sisters, my fellows.

Help me to pray for more of God's grace. The struggle of attaining the magis, of being the "more" for others and for God's glory, will not be over yet.

{}{}{}{}{}{}

Today's Gospel reminded me of how people should invest for heavenly things: following God by being good to others and to the community. But many of us seem to not look at things this way, as many of us save for worldly treasure. True, we should be able to work for a decent living, but how do we define decent living? Simple clothing, just the right resources to be allocated on oneself: this is how I personally define decent living. All else that exceeds one's needs must be given away.

I pray that this definition of mine will not be corrupted by the opulence that today's generation so desperately aspires to achieve.

Today's message also reminded me of things that my eyes should look at. I should not corrupt my soul by looking at things that virtuous eyes ought not to see.

If I aspire for heaven, what should I aspire to look at? A favorite song of mine by Bukas Palad tells me the answer.
'To see the face of God, is my heart's desire...
to gaze upon the Lord is my one desire'

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
I love the picture posted above. It reminds me further of what I have to do.
"Young man, look up. If you desire to follow Me, you have to be MORE. Look up, and be a BETTER fisher of men."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saint Francis Xavier, pray for us.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
photo credits: http://www.hithcc.org/Sermon%20on%20the%20Mount,%20by%20Carl%20Heinrich%20Bloch%20(1834-1890).jpg

No comments: