Saturday, June 7, 2008

Three Topics

ATENEANS*

The Church of the Gesu, Ateneo de Manila University

“In the olden days, the Atenean* was identified by having a rosary in the pocket, and you might think that the rosary is good to have because it will make you lucky. But no.

The rosary will not make you pass exams or train you to cheat.

The rosary is given to you as an opportunity to be truly Atenean, and to take heart the alma mater song, ‘Mary for you, for your white and blue.’

The rosary is given to you so that you might learn to persevere, struggle through, and finish what you begin.

The rosary is there to remind you to always be generous, magnanimous, and self-giving.

In the end, the rosary is yours so that you may always turn to God, the true Power, the one who can bring you, not luck as many ordinarily understand it, but a good and meaningful life.”

Fr. Jojo Magadia, S.J.

This excerpt sums up how Ateneans* are known for their devotion to Mary. Their school hymn rings clear of devotion to Mary, and its grade school pupils and high school students wear the Miraculous Medal on October.

Most of all, true blue Ateneans are known by the rosary in the pocket.

I am not Atenean, but I do admire their love for the Blessed Mother.

Let me digress for a moment. I fondly remember the time I was talking to an Atenean classmate of mine, who had studied elementary and high school there and is now a classmate in med school. I was telling him, "Wow, ang gagaling naman ng mga Ateneans (Ateneans are great!)," while pronouncing the Atenean as /ah-teh-NAY-uhn/. I was corrected, I should have pronounced it /ah-teh-NEE-uhn/. Anyway, back to my story.

THE ROSARY IN MY POCKET

This calls to mind how I was raised as a child, where devotion to the Blessed Mother through the daily recitation of the Rosary was emphasized.

This started early on, with my parents initially praying what seemed to be a long repetition of prayers as our 2-year-old selves slumbered in bed. As we grew up, our praying the Holy Rosary was enforced strictly, and we grew up not having a complete day without praying the Holy Rosary. We would even add a prayer for Filipino families; our family being participants of a daily family rosary pledge promoted by Fr. Patrick Peyton's Family Rosary Crusade.

Many things in my life have been influenced by the Holy Rosary. For instance, during my interview for entrance to med school, I was clutching within my hands a rosary.

Or even during the time I was conceived, my mother prayed the rosary so much when she bled profusely during the first months of her pregnancy. Back then my mom had been given an ultimatum--if the bleeding did not stop, I will have to be aborted. The bleeding suddenly stopped, just days after the ultimatum has been set. My family attributes this miracle to the power of Mary's intercession.

I learned to bring a rosary in my pocket everyday when I forgot bringing one that fateful day in grade 3. I was enrolled in a Dominican Catholic elementary school, and praying the rosary was part of the flag ceremony. I would remember those days when, after the flag ceremony, I would see all students grasping for the rosaries in their pockets and proceed to pray, "I believe in God..."That day, I forgot my rosary completely, and my teacher really made sure that wouldn't happen again. So, after praying...

"Stand up, Lopez! Walk around the classroom 10 times and always remember, BRING YOUR ROSARY!"

My classmates were taunting me. "Ulyanin! (Senile! Forgetful!) "

Now, I feel much emptiness during the day without the rosary in my pocket. It somehow reminds me of the presence of Jesus through Mary in my life. And I can't live without it.

I don't know if my grade 3 classmates still keep their rosaries in their pockets, but I am praying that I will always do, no matter what.

THREE CHURCHES

OUR LADY OF REMEDIES PARISH, Malate Church, Manila. I went here to arrange for a church-related event. After taking care of business, it really felt good praying before Mary Our Lady of Remedies and lose oneself before the Blessed Sacrament. A wedding took place while I was there.


NATIONAL SHRINE OF OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP, Baclaran Redemptorist Church, Parañaque City. I was planning to proceed from Malate to the Manila Cathedral, but I rode the wrong jeepney, which took me instead to Baclaran. Seizing the opportunity to visit the shrine of Mary Our Lady of Perpetual Help, I was blown away by the immense size of the church, its beautiful architecture and the silent atmosphere, despite the noise outside the church compound. I lit three candles, and prayed for strength for the school year ahead. I knocked the glass on Santo Niño's altar, as is the custom for pilgrims here, while saying a prayer for my family and for the future ahead. It was here that I have been feeling a bit excited to receive Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. It made me feel I have to receive Jesus today.

ESPIRITU SANTO PARISH, Tayuman, Manila. Since Espiritu Santo was only a train ride away from Baclaran, I took the chance to receive Jesus in this majestically decorated church. It felt absolutely great to receive Christ and reaffirm my call. The Gospel tells of how Matthew was called by Jesus. When will I be able to leave everything and follow Him?

Lord, do grant me the heart of a pilgrim, ever seeking Your Presence in my daily life. Amen.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saint Robert Bellarmine, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

*i.e. students of Ateneo de Manila University, a prominent Jesuit university in the Philippines.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Photo credits of rosaries: http://www.trinitycasting.com/images/SandDollarRosary.jpg, http://deacbench.blogspot.com/2007_07_22_archive.html. The picture of Ateneo's Church of the Gesu is in public domain (from http://www.wikimedia.org/)
Photo credits for Malate Church, Baclaran Redemptorist Church and Espiritu Santo Parish, respectively: http://www.weddingannouncer.com/pictures/11080/customtext/451918/full-size/church-of-malate.jpg, http://chrislagman.com/blog/gallery/ipap-photos/Visiting%20Baclaran%20Redemptorist%20Church.jpg, http://i1.treklens.com/photos/9392/altar56.jpg

No comments: