Monday, June 30, 2008

I Must Love

MATTHEW 8: 18-22

When Jesus saw a crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side. A scribe approached and said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head." Another of (his) disciples said to him, "Lord, let me go first and bury my father." But Jesus answered him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their dead."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

I just sat for my infectious diseases exam this morning. I thank all those who have prayed for me, and rest assured that I am praying for all readers of this blog.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

This morning, I realized how difficult it must be to maintain one's dedication to Christ. I have been praying to God for the grace to leave everything and follow Him, but I am tempted to consider my weaknesses too much. I may have fallen a number of times because of my innate human weaknesses, a cross that God has given me to bear.

What are my excuses for delaying His call? I need not yet drop out of med school and enter a seminary to follow God's current call for me. If I am to strive for excellentia ad majorem Dei gloriam, I must find God first in the people and situations around me. I need to focus myself on serving Him by doing well in my studies and in my dealings with my patients. I must study hard to help them better. I must serve my parents and help them to bring up my brothers and sisters as truly devoted Christians.

Above all, I must love.

{}{}{}{}{}{}
Today is the feast of the Martyrs of the Church of Rome. May our brothers and sisters pray for us, who are now in the midst of worldly confusion. May their example bolster our drive to follow Christ, no matter what this will take.

{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saint Jean de Brebeuf, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}

photo credits: http://www.eborg3.com/Graphics/Bible/66-Revelation/Rev18/Jesus-Apostles-03.jpg, http://www.catholicculture.org/liturgicalyear/pictures/6_30_martyrs_rome2.jpg

No comments: