Sunday, June 15, 2008

Healing the Sick

Matthew 9:35-10:8 (NAB)
"Jesus went around to all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and curing every disease and illness.

At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd.

Then he said to his disciples,
"The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest."

Then he summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits to drive them out and to
cure every disease and every illness.

The names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon called Peter, and his brother Andrew; James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James, the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddeus; Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot who betrayed him.


Jesus sent out these twelve after instructing them thus,
"Do not go into pagan territory or enter a Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

As you go, make this proclamation: 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'
Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give."

I especially gave much emphasis to the phrases relevant to my current calling: to be a physician.
The gospel for today simply reminded me of three things: 1) I am still called. 2) I have to be a good physician. 3) God will make me a better servant of His when I succeed in becoming a good physician.

God willing. Please pray for me.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

A Jesuit priest--close friend of mine--celebrated mass at the university hospital chapel this afternoon. His homily reminded me of a certain aspect of Ignatian spirituality that I have been reflecting on for the past few days: First of all, a sinner called by God.

I then reflected on how unworthy I in fact am while being called into a very different way of life.

What astounded me afterwards was the group of people I found myself with after the mass. It was I with my priest-friend, two college mates who were freshmen in my medical school. One of them had her girl friend tag along. It was such a nice group, with all of us having interesting connections: either two or more of us were of the same province, same language, same school and same study center. No dull moments; we even almost got lost on our way to lunch because of the warmth and enthusiasm through which we shared our experiences and how all of us had something in common.

It felt good, and I look forward to future opportunities such as these in the future. Thank you Father!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Photo credits:
http://www.cts.edu/ImageLibrary/Images/newwed/gmaxheal.jpg, http://webuser.bus.umich.edu/Organizations/umbshc/images/Pictures/stethoscope.jpg

No comments: