Monday, June 9, 2008

Matthew's Call and the Faith of the Centurion

Matthew 9:9-13 (NASB) : As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man called Matthew, sitting in the tax collector’s booth; and He said to him, “Follow Me!” And he got up and followed Him. Then it happened that as Jesus was reclining at the table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were dining with Jesus and His disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, “Why is your Teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?” But when Jesus heard this, He said, It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. “But go and learn what this means: ‘I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE,’ for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

The gospel for this Sunday reminded me too much of the call the Lord has been given me for the past eight years, something so irresistible that Matthew left everything right away. What keeps me from doing the same thing?

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

While searching for the Bible passage above, I wrongfully inputted in the computer another verse and chapter of Matthew. Matthew 8:13. The verse I actually encountered brought shivers to my spine. It spoke of how the Eucharist plays a central role in my spiritual life.

Matthew 8:5-13 (NASB):
And when Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, imploring Him, and saying, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, fearfully tormented.”

Jesus said to him, “I will come and heal him.”

But the centurion said, “Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. “For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it.

Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, “Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel.

“I say to you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven; but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

And Jesus said to the centurion, “Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed that very moment.

"Lord, I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the Word and I shall be healed." This single prayer sums up how important the Eucharist should be in our lives.

For it is in fact Christ Himself that we receive in the Holy Sacrament.
For it is in fact that we are all unworthy to receive Him.
For it is in fact His Word that made us worthy, not only His Word, but also His Life; He DIED for us to attain the privilege of the Eucharist.
And it is through the Eucharist that we attain grace, healing and the presence of God in our lives.

Yesterday, I was at the high school seminary where my youngest brother now studies. The priest told us in his homily that we know people by what they partake. If we eat fatty foods, we end up being fat; and if we end up immersing ourselves in immoral literature, we end up immoral. But if we worthily partake of the Holy Eucharist, God would only know the immense number of people who would attain holiness and the desire to follow Him!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, Saint John Berchmans and Saint Stanislaus Kostka, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Picture credits: http://kids.christiansunite.com/images/Bible_Stories/116.jpg; http://www.atheavensgate.com/The%20Miracles%20of%20Christ/05-The%20Healing%20Of%20The%20Centurion's%20Servant.jpg

No comments: