Friday, June 27, 2008

The Continuing Struggle to be Magis

MATTHEW 8:1-4

When Jesus came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him. And then a leper approached, did him homage, and said, "Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean." He stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, "I will do it. Be made clean." His leprosy was cleansed immediately. Then Jesus said to him, "See that you tell no one, but go show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses prescribed; that will be proof for them."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

I just sat once again for an exam, this time in microbiology. It had a difficult time trying to recall the structure of fungi and the tests being done for identifying different disease-causing microbes in the blood.

This once again lead me to such a fear I have dreaded for quite some time: failing an exam.

And this once again catapulted me to one very profound memory: how my mother cried the day before my 21st birthday while trying to tell me I ought to excel in my studies. She told me how this would make her happy, notwithstanding the hardships and sacrifices that they have to undergo in educating us.

She already knew that one of my heart's desires is to serve the Lord with all my heart and vowing my all to His Service, but I didn't want to fail her.

Today's Gospel echoes my prayer: "Lord, if You wish, You can make me clean."

You can make me pass, and make me a physician competent enough to serve Your people.
You can make me pure, and make me a servant of Yours ever worthy to bring Your saving grace to them.
You can make me holy, so that one day I may see Your Holy Face.

Let my struggle for Magis take me to greater heights: to Heaven!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Today is the Feast of the Blessed Mother under the title "Mother of Perpetual Help." My Mother, grant that I may only seek the help of your Son, through your powerful intercession. Grant that through my grades I may concretely love my mother and the rest of my family more. Amen.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Our Lady of the Way, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

photo credits: http://oneyearbibleimages.com/jesus_leper.jpg, http://www.rosariesforourlady.com/Images/OurLadyPerpetualHelp1.jpg, http://norprov.org/spirituality/images/ignatiusofferssword.jpg, http://locationcarolina.com/images/lowndes_grove_spiral_stairway.jpg

No comments: