Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Remaining in Him through Mary

MATTHEW 11: 25-27

At that time Jesus exclaimed:
“I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
for although you have hidden these things
from the wise and the learned
you have revealed them to the childlike.
Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
All things have been handed over to me by my Father.
No one knows the Son except the Father,
and no one knows the Father except the Son
and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Two things in today's Gospel are particularly close to my heart.

"although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike." Not all things can be read from books. This particularly draws me to every patient encounter in the hospital, as we learn how to treat patients and care for their needs. Sometimes we may have the opportunity to teach them about favorable attitudes in dealing with their illnesses, but oftentimes it is we medical students that learn more from them. We may teach them about how their disease came about; but in turn, we are being taught such essential concepts like trust, affection, endurance and the value of prayer.

"no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”
I believe that we Christians are particularly fortunate that God has granted us the grace to get to know Jesus. But how much do we know about Him? I once attended a recollection that emphasized the value of knowing the role that Jesus plays in our lives. After being given time to reflect about the role that God plays in my life, I ended up realizing that He is a source of consolation. I have yet to discover how much God would want to reveal Himself to me. How much am I called to see and know about Him?

"Blessed are the pure, they shall see God." Am I pure enough?

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Today is the feast of our Blessed Mother under the title Our Lady of Mount Carmel. I am particularly enamored to this title of our Lady, because of the Scapular which I have been given to wear. It has been hanging on my neck for many years now and it has witnessed various events of my life that drew me closer to Christ and His Call. May the guiding love of our Blessed Mother lead us to knowing Christ more.

I have been hearing this song in my head for the past few days, and I wish to post it here. It tells about one's commitment to a possible call in life, whether in the priestly or married life. I choose to dedicate this song to the Blessed Mother as a way of consecration to her intercession. This song is taken from the famous answer of Ruth to Naomi. Wherever you go, I go.


Pananatili (Staying)
Hangad
(with my unauthorized translation of the title and lyrics from the Filipino original)

Huwag mong naising lisanin kita;
Do not wish that I leave you
Wala ‘kong hangaring ika’y mag-isa.
I do not desire that you are left alone
Sa’n man magtungo, ako’y sasabay,
Wherever you go, I shall walk with you
Magkabalikat sa paglalakbay.
Shoulder in shoulder as we journey on

Mananahan sa tahanang sisilong sa ‘yo,
I will dwell in the home that will shelter you
Yayakapin ang landasin at bayan mo.
I will embrace your path and your nation.

Poon mo ay aking ipagbubunyi
Your God I will praise
At iibigin nang buong sarili.
And I will love with all my self
Sa’n man abutin ng paghahanap,
Wherever my search shall lead me
Ikaw at ako’y magkasamang ganap.
You and me shall be truly together

Ipahintulot nawa ng Panginoon:
May the Lord let it be so:
Ni kamataya’y maglalaho, anino ng kahapon.
that death vanish, so the shadows of yesterday

Dahil pag-ibig ang alay sa ‘yo, mananatili ako.
For love is what I offer, I will remain
H’wag nang naising tayo’y mawalay,
Wish no longer that we may be apart
H’wag nang isiping
Reckon no longer
Magwawakas ang paglalakbay.
That our journey will end.

Pananatili - Hangad


{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Our Lady of the Way, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

photo credits:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/chaplain/graphics/Catholic/National%20Shrine/17%20Christ%20of%20Revelation.JPG, http://www.cspya.org/Our%20Lady%20of%20Mt.%20Carmel.jpg, http://www.preceptaustin.org/RUTH%20AND%20NAOMI%20ORPRAH%20LEAVING.jpg

No comments: