Monday, July 7, 2008

The Fine Line

MATTHEW 9:18-26

And he was speaking these things unto them, behold a certain ruler came up, and adored him, saying: Lord, my daughter is even now dead; but come, lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live. And Jesus rising up followed him, with his disciples.

And behold a woman who was troubled with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment. For she said within herself: If I shall touch only his garment, I shall be healed. But Jesus turning and seeing her, said: Be of good heart, daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

And when Jesus was come into the house of the ruler, and saw the minstrels and the multitude making a rout, He said: Give place, for the girl is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn. And when the multitude was put forth, he went in, and took her by the hand. And the maid arose. And the fame hereof went abroad into all that country.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

I don't know why it already comes naturally to me avoiding advances of women whom I feel to be feigning closeness with me. Filipino culture conveniently terms this as "feeling close," people who are trying to act as though one person has a close relationship with another.

Just now, I have to admit being a bit uncomfortable, when I, scanning the Internet for vocation blogs, was approached by a female friend whom I relate to in much more civil terms. But lo, she laid her hands on my shoulders, something which I would only expect to receive from a member of my family. Perhaps it is my conservative upbringing that made me feel this, or then again, as my sister jokingly would tell me, I seem to preserve myself too much. It seemed to her that I was too conscious of my preparation of responding to God's call.

How do I relate with women? God has given me the grace of having sisters within the family, and a mother so close to me. Through time, family life has taught me a lot about how to relate with women: knowing what matters most to them and getting into what their interests and skills are. And yet, there are still some instances that I feel things are getting too close. I don't know, if it is a defense mechanism or an aspect of my personality. I am quite known in class for being selectively open with my dealings with others.

In the context of praying for my vocation, I really pray to God that He grant me favorable attitudes of dealing with other people. If I am indeed called to His service, I really feel that I have to be renewed, and I have to be skilled in my relationships with others. This calls to mind how Saint Francis Xavier, in his dealings with the people with whom he sailed to the East, managed to spread the Word among known sinners, drunkards and scalawags. He wouldn't be able to spread the Word so well had it not been through his charisma and his acceptance of other people.

But somehow, there must be a fine line between acceptance of other people's personalities and assertion of one's established beliefs. While being open towards the cultures and sensibilities of the peoples he evangelized, Saint Francis Xavier must have been an assertive missionary, prayerfully moving towards his goal of leading the peoples of the East to Christ.

The Gospel for today tells us how Jesus felt the touch of the woman with the hemorrhage.

Am I personifying Christ so much so that other people are wanting to get close to me, and in the process getting close to Christ?

How do I deal with people who are out to get close with me, for an apparently different reason other than getting close to Christ?

How do I set the fine line between acceptance of others and asserting one's faith in Christian chastity?

How do I deal with others who are seeking Christ?
I pray that through the intercession of Saint Francis Xavier, I may be able to know how.

Today is the feast of the Chinese martyrs, the fruits of Saint Francis Xavier's efforts and the efforts of countless missionaries through the centuries. May their intercession bolster us in the faith of Jesus Christ.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

All Chinese Catholic martyrs and Saint Francis Xavier, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

photo credits: http://oneyearbibleimages.com/jesus_tassles.jpg, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/ Detail_-_Glory_of_St_Francis_Xavier_-_Rubens_-_1617_-_KHM_-_Vienna.JPG, http://www.smcenter.org/chinese_martyrs.htm

No comments: