Saturday, July 5, 2008

Am I A Good Wineskin?

MATTHEW 9:14-17

Then came to him the disciples of John, saying: Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but thy disciples do not fast? And Jesus said to them: Can the children of the bridegroom mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then they shall fast.

And nobody putteth a piece of raw cloth unto an old garment. For it taketh away the fullness thereof from the garment, and there is made a greater rent. Neither do they put new wine into old bottles. Otherwise the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish. But new wine they put into new bottles: and both are preserved.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

This morning I met some Jesuits in the Ateneo. It was enlightening to hear the story of one of them who actually finished med school and entered the Society. Things, however, were different in his case--he did not actively pursue answering his call until after graduation and into his residency. He did not have avenues like blogging to meditate and write his thoughts about his vocation. It sure is astonishing how God molds those whom He has called into His service.

Gradually, as he became immersed in the Jesuit way of life, his views and perspectives began to change. He had to admit that his views were not as they were when he was still in med school, especially his views on the worldly elements of contemporary culture: sex, violence and vice. He was once open to them; after all he really did not seriously consider responding to the call as a Jesuit. But he just felt God getting into his thoughts and feelings; one day, he just felt that the call wasn't to be ignored any longer.

I once again reflected on how I am considering my vocation. My mom arrived from the province last night, and we had some time discussing about my vocation. as I may have said before in some previous posts, my mom was quite supportive of my vocation. She was interested how I am to pursue it, after my graduation from med school of course.

Mentioning my mom made me think about a particular saint, whose feast day the Church celebrates today: Saint Anthony Zaccaria. He was said to be a mama's boy, which I also was, being the eldest. Because his father died quite early, he was left to the care of his mother until he grew up. He was also a former medical student like me, earning his MD degree in Padua, but he opted to leave the medical profession and enter the seminary to be a priest. He died in 1539.

However inspired I am by his example, I still feel my calling within the medical field, and I am interested how God would make me a full-time servant of His while being a doctor. Please pray for me that I may pass my exams and become a full-fledged doctor. I feel that it is only then that my parents would grant me freedom to do whatever I want to serve God.

Today's Gospel tells me about how I have to allow God to revolutionize my prayer and personal life. If I am to accept Christ and vow myself to serve Him faithfully until death, what do I have to change? What are my wineskins? Will I hold the Wine well enough?

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saint Anthony Zaccaria and Saint Ignatius of Loyola, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

photo credits: http://www.jcgroup.co.za/images/Wineskins.jpg, http://www.livingwatercommunity.com/saiints/st%20anthony%20zaccaria.jpg, http://www2.creighton.edu/fileadmin/user/IPF/images/mystical_supper.jpg

1 comment:

Joseph Fromm said...

Jim,
I love your blog. I noticed John Brown's Christ the King. Nice, huh.
JMJ
Joe