Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Imperfections in the Religious Life

Throughout the years that I have been pondering about the vocation to be a priest, I had long imagined about the vocation as a religious utopia, espousing an environment that would allow a person to grow in deeper communion with God.

Recently, I have been particularly enamored in the presence of Christ as it manifests in the Society of Jesus. I have developed quite a number of friendships who have considered following God's call through Saint Ignatius' example. But I have stumbled some web links that somehow opened my mind to the need to strengthen my resolve. Religious life is not utopia, it seems, at all.
Jesuit Superiors and the Renewal of Jesuit Life highlighted mistakes that members of the Society have committed throughout the years.

After reading this account, I was actually astonished to find myself yearning to follow my calling even more.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Poverty, obedience, and especially chastity are difficult vows to make. May the time You have granted me to fully reflect on the mystery of Your calling be sufficient to help me follow You, for Your greater Glory.

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, pray for us.

No comments: