Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Going Out of the Comfort Zone

Mt 19:16-22

A young man approached Jesus and said,
“Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?”
He answered him, “Why do you ask me about the good?
There is only One who is good.
If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
He asked him, “Which ones?”
And Jesus replied, “You shall not kill;
you shall not commit adultery;
you shall not steal;
you shall not bear false witness;
honor your father and your mother;
and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

The young man said to him,
“All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?”
Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go,
sell what you have and give to the poor,
and you will have treasure in heaven.
Then come, follow me.”
When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad,
for he had many possessions.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

It has been a while since I last posted. The grind of a medical student is beginning to take its toll on me, as we have begun seeing patients in the outpatient clinical department of the hospital and answering questions of our clinical consultants regarding the management of our patients.

Many things have been learned, and many weaknesses have once again come to the fore. Many sins have been committed, and many tears have been shed, all for the thirst and the desire to experience God in my everyday life. But at times He could be so far away so as to just feel Him only faintly in my life.

I value highly my feelings, but what is it in the heart? I know Christ is in my heart, but do I allow Him to make Himself known in the actions I make, in the words I say, and in the way I deliver care to my patients?

The picture above shows the living room at the Arvisu House Jesuit Prenovitiate, where I attended open house just hours ago. It was an enriching experience to talk with my friends in the prenovitiate, as well as my friends in the Society of Jesus. It also served as a respite from the immense stress of medical school.

God only knows what future role this house will play next in my life.

Today's Gospel on the rich man reminds me once again on the difficulty of following God's call. If I am indeed called to the religious life, I pray that even now, may the Lord grant me the strength to withstand the pressure of going out one's comfort zone, just to serve Christ in others.

Lord, may my whole life be an acceptable offering to You, and I pray that even if it entails the shedding of blood for Your Most Holy Name, grant that Your Will may dominate in how my lifetime will be spent on earth. In the name of Your Son Jesus I pray, Amen.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saint Alberto Hurtado and Saint Ignatius of Loyola, pray for us.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

photo credits: http://www.intheschoolofchrist.org/, http://jeffsj.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/85/4?xurl=%2Fphotos%2Fphoto%2F85%2F4 (courtesy of Br. Jeff Pioquinto, SJ)

No comments: