Thursday, August 7, 2008

Dryness

Mt 17:1-9

Jesus took Peter, James, and his brother, John,
and led them up a high mountain by themselves.
And he was transfigured before them;
his face shone like the sun
and his clothes became white as light.
And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them,
conversing with him.
Then Peter said to Jesus in reply,
“Lord, it is good that we are here.
If you wish, I will make three tents here,
one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
While he was still speaking, behold,
a bright cloud cast a shadow over them,
then from the cloud came a voice that said,

“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased;

listen to him.”

When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate
and were very much afraid.
But Jesus came and touched them, saying,
“Rise, and do not be afraid.”
And when the disciples raised their eyes,
they saw no one else but Jesus alone.

As they were coming down from the mountain,
Jesus charged them,
“Do not tell the vision to anyone
until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Just this afternoon, while interviewing a patient in the Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) Ward.

"Ma'am, nakararanas po ba kayo ng panunuyo ng mata?" Was our patient experiencing dryness of the eye? Our patient said no.

But lately, I wanted to reply to that same question to myself. Yes. I feel dry, but not in the eyes, thankfully. But, I feel dryness of the Spirit. Just as many who attempt to follow Christ, like how Blessed Teresa of Calcutta wrote in her diaries, like how Saint John of the Cross wrote about the darkness of the soul.

In medicine, dryness of the eye may lead to itching, and discomfort of the patient.

In light of today's Gospel, I pray that this dryness may lead me to a deeper longing of the reality that is Christ Jesus. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so they say. I firmly believe that God is deep within my heart, and He can never be absent from my life. But what keeps me blinded from feeling His Presence in my life? Like how you sent Ananias to give sight to the Apostle Paul, Lord Jesus, take away the scales from my eyes, and set me away from my lack of faith.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Saints Paul and Ignatius of Loyola, pray that my inner yearning for Christ be satisfied. Amen.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

photo credits: http://www.markmallett.com /blog/wp-images/carl-bloch-transfiguration.jpg, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/ Ananias_restoring_the_sight_of_st_paul_(34663925).jpg/ 479px-Ananias_restoring_the_sight_of_st_paul_ (34663925).jpg, http://www.abideinchrist.com/missions/humulla22.jpg

No comments: